The project was set up to meet European Union (EU) objectives set out in the EU Joint Communication on International Ocean Governance and the Global Strategy for the European Union’s Foreign and Security Policy. It will contribute to delivering on EU global commitments under the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, and the Convention for Biological Diversity (CBD).
The project builds on the experience of the Transatlantic MPA project funded by the EU (2016-19), which promoted a transatlantic partnership through developing partnerships and twinning activities between marine protected areas in the Atlantic basin.
The EU recognises the contribution of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) to tackling biodiversity loss and climate change impacts in marine and coastal ecosystems, as well as to food security, economic wellbeing and livelihoods of local populations in coastal areas.
The project will undertake activities to protect and restore marine and coastal ecosystems and foster cooperation and security in South East Asia. It will build partnerships between MPAs in this region and in the Atlantic Basin to support the promotion and exchange of knowledge. The three-year project will bring together networks of MPA managers, MPA managers, national and local administrations, regional organisations, local communities, the private sector and non-governmental organisations.
The project’s objective is to increase the EU’s role as a global actor in international ocean governance by fostering regional and interregional cooperation relevant to the protection and restoration of marine and coastal ecosystems.
- To advance a process leading to enhanced cooperation of MPAs in and between the Atlantic and South East Asian regions.
- To support the implementation of marine and coastal ecosystem restoration activity in the South East Asian region.
- To facilitate broader regional cooperation on marine and coastal resilience in the South East Asian region with a view to underpin regional stability.
- To contribute to the effective management of MPAs in the Atlantic and South East Asian regions.
- Increased knowledge and practice of protecting and restoring marine and coastal ecosystems in three selected areas of marine protected areas in the South East Asian region.
- Improved management of marine protected areas around the Atlantic Ocean using the concept of shared environmental protection.
- Strengthened knowledge exchange between Atlantic and South East Asian marine and coastal regions.
- Improved basis for dialogue among marine and coastal stakeholders in the South East Asian region.